Thursday, July 7, 2011

Where I Stand

Paul gauguin, one of my favorite painters,

once said to intimate friend on the eve

of his last departure for the south pacific,

"I stand at the edge of the abyss...

yet I do not fall in."

These words stick to your soul

like napalm when you see the world

that he painted for the folks back home.



He painted them a world of

half naked serene and more

primitive people

living in a magical

time before the advent of taxes,

crime, and the plague.



He painted them landscapes of reds and blues

and violets, and in its people, he

saw the land reflected in their

eyes trained; on one another

pouring the tahitian sun light

azure crystal blue sky onto

their soft thighs, and exposed

chests.



He saw himself there as well

hunched in the background.



Sitting below the canopy

with another set of eyes.

Not soft and brown,

but cold and steely blue,

with hair like fire.

A predatory intruder

not native to this world.

Though he sits with them

and minds his business,

the natives should know

to flee from him

or bury him in the forest.



On the edge of the abyss

is where I've found myself

as well, but it is not into 

paradise into which I've

been cast; but a world I've

seen every day of my life

since birth, but only the lightest of shades.


I've stood at the edge my

whole life, being told, and daring not to

look back and see what

may be lurking there in

plain sight at the edge of the

side walk.



But the 'others' can see it,

and they have warned me

not to come too close

for fear of losing myself

along with my innocence, should I fall in,

should I be pushed forward,

pulled back, or stumble carelessly.



Now that I have turned,

I've found that this something

black, not a hole. There

is no light to it's rim but there is light

coming from within.

She is the queen of all

colors. She swallows my shadow,

and gapes wider and wider,

until my feet have touched

its surface.



I stand at the edge of the

abyss, yet I do not fall in.

The ocean will not claim

my bones on this middle passenger's voyage.

Should I perish, I will be buried

in the land of my birth;

be it midwest, south east,

or outer space.



When I scrutinize it's depth

it's hard to tell how deep it

is, and it seems at times,

as if it has a surface,

a matte surface struggling to

catch light, but failing for

trying and trying too hard.



I stand at the edge of

black and I put a foot onto

it, and I leave it there, and

I feel at once as if another life

is beginning within me, or perhaps resuming.

An easy swagger,

and a feeling that the sun-kissed

ground is hot, and the dark

black circle is cool,

as long as I keep cool, I can stand

there as long as I like,

and my friends and relatives will

see me to their horror not suspended

above it, upon that horrible mark.

Blackness.

That desolate, vacuum of a surface.

Black.

black like the night

black like a horsefly bite

black like the cough syrup drop

black like tar,

black like iron,

black like a man who lives

surrounded by it, but not within it,

only above it.



Black is deep and wide and sees

nothing of the sun,

there are no children here.

As I stand and look down

into the abyss onto which i stand,

I see it's surface is not a uniform

a cold monolith. It undulates

Sweet and sour, hot, breath

being gasped, creeping up my legs,

snapping at my pockets with

claws and whispers

of a thousand years of humiliation

sadness, and murder.

I stand off

the edge above the darkness

and it's inhabitants see me

as their own as long as I keep

my cool, and don't let the light

shine too brightly within me.

The White light, given to me at birth,

to keep me planted firmly on

the ground outside of the darkness.



I never look away, I never seek

a thing from that cavern.

The citizens of the cave know

where all things lie, and they see

the light outside blinding

and terrifying and they see

themselves cast their shadows

against the wall as if it's all they

have, and is all that they are,

and I struggle to see mine among

them. And they laugh at me

and say "Brother, light does not

have a shadow. The blessed walk

as the blessed walk and not as

the damned can dance."



You're in the wrong place,

and you'd better be thankful

that you're a big man and that someone

misses you.



And so I emerge, to concerned

faces who trace my image

for tarnished broken thoughts,

they scan my face for

unknown sorrows, and unrequited anger.



And they ask me plainly, where

I have been, and what I have done

in their absence; and my reply to them comes

with out a pause, or a sigh of relief.



I have stood at the edge of the

Abyss, yet I do not fall in.

No comments:

Post a Comment